Saturday 4 August 2012

The grass is always greener...

I have begun my Tournament Programme and am three weeks in and things are going steadily. Unfortunately my lowly rating did not qualify me for entry into my first scheduled tournament at Winchester, so I exchanged that event for a weekend grade 4 event at the Totton & Eling Club. I had a bye in the first round and played quarter finals against a 6.1 on the Saturday morning. Unfortunately we've not exactly had a Summer just yet this year, and I arrived at the venue to heavy rain. As with many of these tournaments though - they like to press on regardless, and we began play as the rain began to ease. My opponent was a steady player who was weaker on his one handed backhand that he hit very flat and I knew that I would have to play solid but I should have a good chance at winning through.

I started well winning my service game comfortably. The rest of the set was a battle that lasted over an hour, despite my losing it 6-1. It was a tussle of deuces and missed opportunities and my opponent simply stayed more solid than I did, and on his feet more often, in the wet conditions. I went out in the second set determined to stay with him longer and stay aggressive. I was unable to find my game on the day and I lost the second set, again in over an hour 6-1. I came out of that match with a 6-1 6-1 loss that lasted over two hours and fifteen minutes so I knew that I had at least given it some fight despite not being able to find any real form. I was to play the consolation draw after which I was able to win comfortably with 6-1 6-0 and 6-1 6-4 wins that I was always in control of. I was happy to have found some winning momentum albeit a little late but I knew that I could go into the next tournament with some confidence found.

My next tournament was at the University of Bath - a fantastic facility catering for so much sport, and many of the olympic teams were basing their preparation for the London Games there. I played a 7.1 in the first round, knowing that a win would set up a showdown with the number 1 seed which made the win even more enticing. I went into that match feeling comfortable that once again providing I could simply produce a solid display I would get the win but once again I felt extremely tight on the court and struggled to relax and play my game and I lost. This again put me in the consolation draw where I again received a bye through to the quarter finals where I would play a 5.2 on the Tuesday. I felt a lot more relaxed and comfortable and was able to win a comfortable match 6-1 6-0 before losing a tight three-setting in the semi-finals against a real grinder. I came away from that event disappointed as I know that when I perform in practice I play at an extremely high level, but at the moment I cannot reproduce that level on the match court which is extremely frustrating but something we are working hard on to change.

I had a couple of days break before getting back on court to prepare for the AEGON British Tour at Tunbridge Wells where I would play the 3rd seed in qualifying. I went into that match playing good tennis in practice and looking forward to playing a good standard on the grass at Tunbridge Wells. My opponent was obviously a good player, but I had been informed that he was something of a grinder and providing I could stay aggressive and dominate the rallies I would have a good chance against him. Once again it was a long match despite the scoreline as I lost 6-0 6-1, having game points in every service game and several break points as well. I was simply unable to take my opportunities when they arose despite creating them. My first serve percentage was way too low and I didn't make enough returns into court - bread and butter of winning matches. I also found it extremely difficult to adjust to the quick surface and on the spot vowed never to again go into a tournament without having trained on the specific surface prior to the match as it is simply preparation for failure.

I have withdrawn from next weeks British Tour event in Newcastle as this is not only on clay courts, but also the opposite end of the country to my home base. Instead I am very excited to be competing at the Devonshire Park LTC Open which is a fairly high profile grade 3 LTA event on the grass courts at Eastbourne - home of both the ATP and WTA event earlier in the year. I am much happier with my preparation and looking forward to going out and winning some matches!


No comments:

Post a Comment