Monday 10 October 2011

Training Block Week 2

Hi,

Week two of my training block has been the toughest week so far - it was far heavier in the gym and also included a lot more cardio training with two medium length runs and two pool sessions as well. I have decided to increase my pool sessions, it's not something I would normally include in my training programme as I prefer running, and whilst I want to keep up my running as it's the ideal workout for your legs and tennis cardio, swimming provides a much lower impact cardio training. This means that I have felt like I can train harder on a tennis court because my legs are less tired and have fewer aches and pains as they would from the pounding they take from a run. Obviously, I will continue to run also, as interval training, sprints and middle distance running provide the backbone of my cardio training.

During a training block like this it is very important to know about the nutritional side of things and implement it effectively. This can have a huge impact on your recovery and your energy through and after training. I say this now as I am tucking into two large steak sandwiches to prep me for a harsh gym session this afternoon! :) 

I also managed to get a few videos of some of my on court training this week - they are only short individual clips but hopefully it gives an idea of my tennis and my shots. This has also provided me with some good material to study and work with - it really helps to see your shots in action as you can pick up on exactly what you are doing both right and wrong visually, that you don't get to see when you are on a court normally. Thanks to the wonders of youtube unfortunately the quality is even worse then originally! But here are a just a couple to give you a taster of my game - will get some more of my training over the remainder of this training block.




Hope you enjoy watching and reading a bit about what I do - I am now on week 3 which is slightly lighter in the gym in preparation for Glasgow futures however I am currently around 30 on the alternates list so I will decide on Tuesday or Wednesday whether it will be worth me making the trip up the entire length of the country for that one or not. If not then I will be extending my training block ready for Cardiff the week after and making this week as heavy as last week.

I will keep you updated on my training and whether or not I end up in Glasgow or not. If you have any questions or feedback I would love to hear from you! Also I'm on twitter @jacksaunders so get in touch.

2 comments:

  1. So you pretty much train intensely during any week that you do not have a tournament? What do your weeks leading up to a tournament look like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim

    Each week is different - I am on a training block at the moment which is particularly intense but next week, providing I will get into Cardiff, I will drop down to just two gym sessions that will be endurance sessions rather than heavy. And the focus will be on tennis for up to 4 hours per day prior to the tournament.

    ReplyDelete